Sunday 14 October 2012

Asam Pedas Ikan Yu/ Sharkfish Spicy and Sour Gravy

Malaysians are so lucky because we are from multi-cultural society and we are rich with variety of food from all those culture. Asam Pedas is a Malay Cuisine which my family love, I have made this a few times and while I was in my parent's place my cousin requested me to cook this dish again. This is a very easy dish to cook and doesn't take much time to prepare.

I have used Shark as it's soft and boneless, easy to eat isn't it. You can substitute with Sting Ray, or any other fish of your choice. Now let us look at how I cooked this dish;


Ingredients:

500g shark fish (cut into small cubes)
1 onion sliced
1 tomato cubed
1 stalk lemon grass
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp dry chili paste
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 cup of tamarind juice
1 tsp of shrimp powder/paste
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup of water
1 tbsp of oil
Salt to taste

In a pan, heat oil and add onion and ginger garlic paste, fry until fragrant. Then add tomato, lemon grass, chili paste, turmeric powder, shrimp powder and fry for a minute. Now pour in tamarind juice and water, let it come to a boil.

Add cleaned fish and simmer the gravy on a medium flame until fish is cooked and tender. Finally add brown sugar and salt to adjust the taste to your preference. This soup should taste spicy and sour, and it goes very well with plain rice.

Our Asam Pedas is ready to be served, do try and let me know how it turned out!

2 comments:

Thank you so much fellow friends for commenting, your comments will help me to improve my blog and share more special recipes that I have tried with you. Do drop by often, yummy recipes waiting!

Arthy Suman