Thursday 20 September 2012

Modhagam/ Modhak

This year Vinayagar Chaturthi is a special one for me because, I have made Modhagam on my own. The shape wasn't as good but the taste was nice, my husband said appearance is not important but your intention is more than anything. Okay let me take you through with what I have done, I'm sure you all have your own recipes inherited from your family.


Ingredients:

For Pastry:

250g rice flour (dry roast)
A pinch of salt
1 tbsp of oil
Water as needed

Mix all the ingredients above and knead the dough to a soft, smooth and pliable texture. Make lemon sized balls and keep aside to fill with the dhall filling later.


Filling:

200g of dhall/lentils (soaked)
100g of grated coconut
1 cup of jaggery/ palm sugar
1/4 cup of water
A pinch of salt

Boil the soaked dhall until soft and drain the water, set aside.



Dry roast the grated coconut


Add the boiled dhall and mix well with the grated coconut


Mix jaggery/ palm sugar and salt with water and pour into the dhall-coconut mixture


Let the filling simmer and water evaporates thus become dry, 
make into small lime sized balls


Now take a lemon size pastry, flatten it and place in the balled filling,
cover and shape like mothagam


Steam the mothagam for 10- 15 minutes and its ready to be served

Do try and let me know how it turned out!

4 comments:

Thank you so much fellow friends for commenting, your comments will help me to improve my blog and share more special recipes that I have tried with you. Do drop by often, yummy recipes waiting!

Arthy Suman